Questions, questions, and more questions. We all have them when we choose to cloth diaper. There are the cloth diapering questions that we have when we begin to research cloth diapers for the first time, there are questions we have when we first start using cloth diapers, and there are questions we have when hitting bumps in the road.
I’ve tried to gather most of the questions that I get over and over again on this cloth diaper FAQ page. Many of the questions need a healthy dose of explanation, and in those cases, I’ll give you the short answer here and link you to other pages on this site where I’ve answered the question in full and with links to necessary resources (like diaper retailers, or scientific resources).
If you’re brand new to cloth diapers and this is the first cloth diaper resource you’ve seen, I really recommend stopping here and heading over to my Cloth Diapers 101 page for a primer on cloth diapers and their care. That page will help you get your wits about you so that you know what questions you may want to ask.
Deciding to Use Cloth Diapers or Not
- Cloth Diapers Vs. Disposable Diapers; Which Should You Choose?
- Are Cloth Diapers Sanitary?
- Is it Too Late to Start Cloth Diapering my Toddler?
Diving in: Deciding What to Buy
After you’ve made the choice, and you’ve decided you’re going to try cloth diapers, you’ll have a lot of questions about what to buy and what not to buy. First things first, you’ll want to figure out what types of cloth diapers you want to try (there are a bunch of different kinds) and you’ll want to know how many you’ll need (it depends on your baby or babies and laundry habits).
Here’s the cloth diaper FAQ you’ll have at this stage:
Choosing Wisely: What Cloth Diapers are Best
Preparing Your Diapers for Use
There’s a lot of talk in the cloth diaper community around “prepping” or getting your diapers (new or used) ready for your baby.
Using Cloth Diapers: When/How to Change Baby and What to Do With the Poop
Saving Money on Cloth Diapers
Diaper Styles, Types, and Fabrics
Types of Cloth Diaper Systems
Fabric and Closure Choices
- What is Microfiber (And Do You Want it in Your Cloth Diapers)?
- What is Zorb (And Do You Want it in Your Cloth Diapers)?
Cloth Diaper Accessories
- What are Snappis and How Do You Use Them?
- What Are Diaper Pods and Are They Useful?
- What are Cloth Diaper Liners?
Lotions, Potions, Powders and Balms
- Will Vaseline Ruin Cloth Diapers?
- Is Cornstarch Safe for Diaper Rash (and Cloth Diapers)?
- Is Vinegar Safe for Cloth Diapers?
- Do I Need to Use Calgon Water Softener When I Wash Cloth Diapers?
Washing and Care
- Can Cloth Diapers Be Washed With Other Clothes?
- Do You Have to Wash Pocket Diapers After Every Use?
- Can Cloth Diapers Go in the Dryer?
Troubleshooting Wash Problems
- What’s The Problem WIth Fluff Love University Recommendations?
- Do You Have Detergent Buildup in your Cloth Diapers?